Don’t you hate it when you’re at a restaurant and cannot finish the plate? It’s such a waste of food, as it is not a habit to ask for a doggy bag here in Belgium. Since I can’t do anything about that, I love to find ways to use leftovers from home made dinners.
We often eat a baguette at home (with soup, spaghetti,…) but it’s only tasty for about a day or so, when it’s fresh. Therefore we decided to cut the baguette leftovers up and put them in the freezer a few months ago. Then one day I was hungry and thought about heating a piece of the baguette in the oven. So I cut it in half and put it -still frozen- in the oven for about 4-5 minutes. It came out very crunchy and tasteful, just as I aspected. Yum!
There are many things you can do with these baguettes:
– cut them up and eat it as a side again,
– make a long pizza baguette with pasta sauce, a slice of tomato, herbs and cheese,
– turn it into fastfood with a hamburger, ketchup, a pickle and some lettuce,
– make bruschettas with chopped up tomato, olive oil and basil for example
– be creative and try some other ideas!
If you want to serve it with warm spread, just put the frozen baguette for about 3 minutes in the oven, put everything on it you like and put it back in the oven for about 3-8 minutes. Done!
– use a sharp knife (not a bread knife) to cut up the frozen baguette
– eat it immediately, when it’s still warm