And the nominees are…
On February 26, the Academy awards take place for the 84th time. The reason I’m telling this is a Belgian movie got nominated in the category Foreign Language Film! I’m very proud of this nomination, since I’m Belgian too.
I read on the official website of the Oscars that in the past, only five other Belgian movies got nominated in the same category. So being a nominee is already a great accomplishment!
The movie I’m talking about is ‘Bullhead‘, written and directed by Michael Roskam. Bullhead tells the story of Jacky, a guy who works on his family’s cattle farm. The family is approached by someone to make a deal, involving illegal growth hormones. Jacky isn’t keen on the idea of a partnership involving a dangerous business, that already cost a man’s life. The movie also shows a few flashbacks of Jacky as a kid, the events that made Jacky the man he is today.
I already saw this movie last year and I thought it was the best movie I had seen in 2011. It’s kind of a dark story that doesn’t leave you with a warm and happy feeling, like most of the Hollywood feel good movies do (although I love these movies too of course 🙂 ). I can really lose myself in a story and that also happened during this film. I felt so bad for Jacky, because he seems to only attract bad luck.
– Bullhead takes place in Limburg, the province where I live too. It’s also the province that is known in Belgium as the one where everyone has a strong sence of solidarity. So every Limburger is keeping his fingers crossed until Sunday and so am I 🙂
– The leading role Jacky was played by Matthias Schoenaerts and for this role he had to gain 27 kg (approx. 60 lbs.) of muscle mass!
– Matthias Schoenaerts (Jacky in Bullhead) is also one of the main characters in a movie that will be released later this year. This movie is called ‘The Loft’ and is an American remake of the Belgian movie ‘Loft’. But I will devote another blog post on this movie later 🙂
– One of the jury members of the Academy Awards is Stijn Coninx. This man is the director of Daens, one of the Belgian movies who got nominated for an Academy Award in the same category. Stijn is from Limburg too, but the sad thing is he can’t vote for Bullhead because he didn’t see all the movies in the category Foreign Language Film. And that’s one of the conditions for voting.
– A Belgian radio station travelled all the way to Hollywood to show support 🙂
Movie reviews & interviews
More information, interviews and reviews can be found on the links below. Or Google, of course 🙂
Good luck Bullhead! 🙂
- Movie Review: ‘Bullhead,’ Directed by Michael R. Roskam (movies.nytimes.com)
- ‘Bullhead’s’ Matthias Schoenaerts On Playing A ‘Tragic’ Character And The Film’s Oscar Nom (news.moviefone.com)
- A Crime Tragedy, not a Crime Drama (carpetbagger.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Marshall Fine: Movie review: Bullhead (huffingtonpost.com)
- Review: (Oscars 2012) BULLHEAD (thepeoplesmovies.com)